Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Getting Good Things to Happen in Color Guard

You never know when something good is going to happen until it happens to you. Spintronix was that something for me. I joined as a first time staff member this year and it has been the most rewarding job I could ever hope for. The kids are amazing! I love coming down every weekend to see each and every one of them! It’s the family I never knew I needed until I had it.

One particular weekend in December, Merideth was down to teach some choreography and out of the blue she asked me how old I was (22 by the way). She asked me for my exact birthday, then proceeded to look at Jackie and say “I think she can march this year...”. After checking the rule book the next day, it turned out it was true and Jackie let me decide what I wanted to do! Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity! Never having marched DCI or winter guard, I wasn't going to pass on my one and only opportunity. We kept it from all the kids for a week and I let Jackie break the news to them the next rehearsal weekend. They were all just as excited for me and I loved all the support I received from them. This will be my rookie and age out year, but I am so happy to have this chance. It was truly a dream come true for me and I can't wait to see what the rest of the season holds for me as a performer!

This past weekend, we all prepared for the imminent dress rehearsal. After arriving there Friday night, we proceeded to go through our warm-ups and reviewed half the show along with choreography before the lovely Sam walked us through our makeup look for the season and then it was lights out. The morning was very eventful from defrosting a mass of frozen biscuits in the microwave to resetting breakers that had flipped in the middle of the night, but biscuits and gravy and endless amounts of coffee had everyone rearing to go when Leah got there for dance class! She choreographed some beautiful dance choreography and by the time lunch rolled around we all had it under our belts. After lunch we proceeded to go through and review the rest of the show. It was crunch time and a little stressful, but we did it! Makeup and hair went by in a blur and by then it was time for our performance. All the kids marched out in their gorgeous uniforms with their equipment, blocked up, stretched out and warmed up. Both run throughs went by smoothly and we couldn’t be more proud of them! It was stressful, but very rewarding because each of them know how far they have come and how much further we still need to go!

We have two weekends before our first competition and I know we are going to improve so much in the meantime! I know we are going to do wonderful things this season!

- Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment