Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Productive Weekend - Reprinted with Permission

Yep, it sure has been. Unfortunately, that hasn't applied to getting anything further done on writing my next book. I guess I am going to have to accept that this just has to be my side hobby for now and move on with life.

 

I'm taking an accounting class and honestly, I have shied away from any class that has to do with numbers throughout college because I dislike math. However, I was watching an educational YouTube video the other day and the narrator was explaining this concept that wound up having to do with math. If I had known the video was going to be about math, I would've clicked away and watched a cat video or something I could LOL at, or maybe ROFL, or if I'm really lucky ROFLMAO! But no, I was already hooked into the video and then they started explaining math. Bait and switch, those sneaky YouTube video producers!

 

But I digress! Badly, too!!! The person in the video said something about math that really just sort of clicked for me. He said "Humans created math in order to explain the world around them." and I was like well duh, every math teacher I have ever had has told me this. However, this guy showed an example that made me realize that oh, the entire purpose of numbers really is to explain the world around us. It's just not taught that way to us in school so then we don't really understand, know, or care as to why we have to do these algebraic functions or trigonometry or, heaven forbid, geometry! (I had a special place deep in my bowels for what I thought of geometry in high school...)

 

So anyway, back to my accounting class. I have been at this class for several weeks now. It is an online, independent study course so I can take it at whatever pace I need to take, which is perfect for me because with my life I don't really have time for anything outside of my job, my guard, and occasionally my books (well, you see how that is going anyway). I'm working at the accounting class and I realized something: accounting is really incredibly simple, it just has a lot of fancy language and numbers to learn. But once you boil that fancy language down to what the words really mean and realize that numbers are just our way of explaining the world around us, you realize how incredibly simple it is. I am suspicious that the only reason accountants came up with all those words and surrounded them with math is to scare people away. I bet most people who have passed their high school math classes could easily do their own accounting, but heaven forbid Americans ever gain a semblance of independence from our government.

 

That's a whole other topic for a whole other day. Good night.


J.M. Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment