Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Guard Life

This week's blog comes from Cassandra McCartney, a second year member of Spintronix and graduate of her high school's color guard and winter guard programs. She is currently preparing for an audition with Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede in Branson, MO so wish her luck!! Here is our weekend from her point of view:

 

Life is hard. Guard life is harder. The physicality of spinning a flag or rifle/sabre is work, but it's worth it. It's all about emotion and physical fitness to take on this task; especially if you're joining guard for the first time.

 

When I first joined guard, I didn't know anything about it, let alone how much physical pain I would be in the first week! Dr. Spurling showed me how much fun it really was. I stayed on for two seasons in high school. After I graduated, I decided to join an independent guard called Spintronix. When I auditioned, I didn't realize how involved I was getting involved in the friendship of the other auditionees. As we all waited for the results of the audition, we all chattered away. Jackie came in and talked about the audition; she said that everyone who attended the call back were being accepted as members.

 

Last year was awesome because we danced to Michael Buble's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in our show "Motorbike Melody". This year is even better because we are doing a show called "Bunheads and B-boys". I love the song "Cray Button" and I love being on TEAM HIP HOP! This weekend was great because we are AMAZING!!!! Plus, Jackie is helping us stay healthy by doing crunches and giving advice on how to eat right. Team building was fun; we put our backs against one another and tried to get up as a team.... Which was a sight to see. I just love how we spend so much time together as a team!

 

Cassandra McCartney

 

Cassie gets her performance face on at championships in 2013.Cassie gets her performance face on at championships in 2013.

 

If you liked Cassie's note, please click the "like" button so she can earn points from each person who reads it! Next weekend we will be attending our second contest at Kickapoo High School so come out to support the team and keep checking back to our Facebook page for more Spintronix information!!

No comments:

Post a Comment