Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2016

Graduatory Thoughts

It’s graduation season once again, and as I make my rounds to all of the schools where I have students completing their final year once again I have a moment to sit back and just be observant. This is something that happens quite rarely so I need to take it in while I have the chance and get it down while it is still fresh in my mind!!

It is often thought that popularity is determined by how loudly your friends cheer and how many of your friends there are during graduation. However, I had a fantastic viewpoint of a graduation ceremony today that completely changed my perspective on that. It has nothing to do with popularity; it’s all about how much of your family showed up that day. Yes, friends do cheer and clap, but it’s nothing compared to what the family will do to show support for their little girl or boy growing up into a young woman or man.

And you’re like “so what then? This has nothing to do with color guard…”

Well I’m about to get there!

As the senior slideshow played, and again as the seniors were announced to walk across the stage to get their diplomas, I noticed something incredible happening. The students who were popular had people cheering for them, the students with large families also had sections cheering for them. However, that was nothing compared to the band kids. Because every single one of those current band members cheered loud and proud for their graduating band mates. Add that on to the biological families of those seniors, their smattering of friends, and even a chorus of band alumni that were nearby to support and encourage one of their own - and you’ve got the loudest cheers in the whole gym. It was a beautiful experience.

Band isn’t just another class, and it’s definitely not just a sport. You live with these people all year long, and you create such a supportive framework that it’s nearly impossible to break. It even goes beyond just your high school years and on into life. What other school activity does that? None that I can think of…

No comments:

Post a Comment