Search This Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Marching DCI this summer? Here's what you need to know.

As everyone makes their way to the corps they call home this week/weekend, i have a few things for you.

If this is your first year of corps, REVEL IN THE MOMENT. Welcome to the family, the giant drum corps family that you will now forever be a part of. DONT GIVE UP. Just because it is hard, just because you feel like you’re literally dying, just because you can’t breathe, are tired, back hurts, your leg is doing something weird by the time you hit the second movement, whatever… Stay with it. I promise you it gets better and will be worth every second.

For the age outs, LIVE YOUR DREAM. This is the last time you’ll be able to werk it out with your respective drum corps. Make as many memories as you can. DONT BE BITTER. Things might not go your way for half the season. You might think the staff is coming for you (even though I know Robin totaaaaally was coming for me all season bahaha), your brothers and sisters aren’t fully behind you, whatever. I promise you that whatever you may feel is just defeat and you CANNOT BE DEFEATED IN THIS ACTIVITY. You are the star of the activity, the force that inspires so many, the representations of countless hours of musical and athletic ability. I believe in you, even when you’re ready to just be like LET ME GO HOME, and you have people rootin for you.

A quick reminder that you were chosen out of eight zillion people that audition for drum corps every year, you were chosen to represent the corps you’re with, to make history, to forever be a part of your specific corps family and the family of drum corps international. Perform your hearts out and make it the best you can. I would do anything to be back on that field in Lucas Oil with my brothers, and I’m sure many others would say the same.

I love you all. Splooie, FCO, CMFC, six words, FHNSAB, MYNWA, SUTA, lhold on, etc. and so on. I am so proud of each and every one of you. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for this season!

- Nicholas Powers

No comments:

Post a Comment