Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2016

Skin Deep - A Rua Para Rio

Living in another country will really give some serious perspective on life and what people are like. I think it's the only way we are going to ever have compassion for all people if we want to create worldwide understanding and peace.

Brazilians are so very affectionate. They are all about the hugs and kisses, and it can be either scary or wonderful for an American such as myself who is used to having to ignore people on the streets in the city. A handshake is never enough for these people and they are more than happy to share their lives with you with open arms. However, if you are looking for a deep and meaningful connection with someone, that's going to be a bit harder to find. On the outside, they may LOOK like they are all about the love, but it really seems to be the affection that's so wonderful and then it just stops. Do they even understand how to really connect with someone on that next deeper level? It's so difficult!

I've met a lot of men and women between about the ages of 25-40 (or thereabouts, I have a really difficult time telling the age of any Brazilian if they don't tell me outright!) and this seems to be the overwhelming consensus: they get married young, have a couple of children, get divorced, and then wallow in their broken hearts for the rest of their lives. They never really move on but they never really find a way to fill that gap in their lives. It's a nation of hopeless romantics.

To compare, in the US we are encouraged to get over our ex's and treat them as past mistakes, then to learn from those and move on. I shouldn't speak for the entire population of either country but this is what I've observed over and over again.

I was recently told by a Brazilian that I am the best friend he's ever had. I've not even known him for two months! So, what on earth did I do that made him feel this way? I listened to him. I let him share his life's story with me and I actually asked him questions to demonstrate how interested I was in knowing him better. Brazilians don't seem to do that with one another. It's just all beijos and samba, then you either hook up or go home. The lucky ones have a family to rely on, and many of my friends here who have successful families have a family member who is not Brazilian...

Just some observations... am I wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment