Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2016

Why Monday is the best day of the week

I love Mondays.

How many people will you ever hear say that?? Probably not a lot!

We have a serious problem in this country with hating the work week so much and loving the weekends so much that we absolutely loathe the first day back to work each week. I was one of those people for many years, and it started when I was in high school. I can't put my finger on exactly WHY I started hating Mondays so much in high school, but I'm sure it was some combination of my teachers setting an example of Monday malice, my peers exhibiting modeling behaviors, the general pop culture of distaste for the work week, and normal teenage germinal angst. The serious problem with this topic is that I held on to this bad habit all the way through college, all the way through grad school, and then on into my first few years of teaching full time.

Think about it, I spent one seventh of each week hating the day just because everyone else did. That's one seventh of my life drenched in rancor without purpose.

A couple of years ago a man named Casey Neistat began vlogging every day on YouTube. And he couldn't have appeared in my life at a better time because I was heading down a path of misery and had no understanding of why. What I really needed was a new perspective. And that's what I got from him. He LOVES Mondays. His work ethic and passion for life are unmatched by anyone in their 30's that I know of. Watching him go about his day and exhibit the eagerness of an 18-year-old in the bottom level of their first dream job changed my life.

So why on earth love Mondays? Here are five reasons:

1. It's the start of something fresh and new. Whatever happened last week was last week, and no matter how good or bad it was this new week is a blank slate to start again.

2. I'm the most rested I can possibly be all week. Especially when I get to take Sundays off to just chill, it makes life so much happier!

3. I haven't seen the students all weekend, so they have new stories to tell.

4. I love my job, and I get to do it.

5. With the whole week ahead of me, who knows what could happen!

I hope more people in life find the inspiration and perspective that they need to start living more positively. With this sort of mindset, we can be a more productive society and find happiness in our daily lives.

<3 Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment